Jan 1, 2021
Letter From The Chair
2020 has been an extraordinary year. In spite of all the challenges, we came together to transform the OpenSDS project, and launched SODA Foundation in June 2020. This would not be possible without support of our Premier Members – China Unicom, Fujitsu, Huawei, Toyota Motor Corporation, NTT Communications, and other members and supporters.
SODA Foundation was founded to address data and storage challenges in the era of cloud native, big data, IOT, edge, and 5G. Due to the multitude of technologies involved, these challenges can only be solved through collaboration with open source at the core.
In 2020, the community developed the Open Data Framework (Elba, Faroe and Greenland releases) which allows end users to connect different pieces together into a seamless end-to-end solution. We also incubated two projects in 2020, YIG the massively scalable object storage project by China Unicom, and DAOS the distributed asynchronous object storage project by Intel.
Last year, we also built strong relationships with our industry partners Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA), China Electronics Standards Institute (CESI), Japan Data Storage Forum (JDSF), and Cloud Computing Innovation Council of India (CCICI) for standardization, localization, and co-marketing efforts.
We held our very first SODACON virtual conference at the end of 2020 with a lineup of over 60 speakers and over 400 global attendees. 2020 was also filled with many events which we sponsored and/or participated including SNIA Storage Developer Conference, Open Source Summit N.A, Open Source Summit Europe, Open Source India, OpenStack+SODA+Ceph Day China, and our last physical event K8S Day India, just before COVID-19 lockdowns started.
As we begin the new year, we are focused on delivering value to the SODA community through our projects, programs, partnerships, and events. On behalf of the SODA team, we thank you for your continued support and look forward to connecting with you.
SODA Foundation Chairman
- SODA Foundation officially launched on Jun 29, 2020
- SODA chartered as an open source data and storage project in Linux Foundation
- 26 Members & Supporters
- 5 Premier, 7 General, 11 supporters, 3 associates
TOYOTA MOTOR CORP
- Rakesh Jain, IBM (Co-Chair)
- Kei Kusunoki, NTT Communications (Co-Chair)
- Xin Zhong, China Unicom
- Masanori Itoh, Toyota
- Vinod E, Wipro
- Hiroki Kimura, Fujitsu
- Yusuf Yildiz, Linbit
- Shenglin Wu, ProphetStor
- Kiran Mova, MayaData
- Prashant Mishra, Click2Cloud
- Sanil Kumar, Huawei
END USER ADVISORY
- Yuji Yazawa, Toyota Motor Corp (Chair)
- Cosimo Rosetti, Vodafone
- Wim Jacobs, KPN
- Tomoko Kondo, Softbank
- Shinya Tsunetmatsu, GMO Pepabo
- Yusuke Sato, Yahoo Japan
- Terada Mitchitaka, Internet Initiative Japan
- Michiharu Nakazawa, Sakura Internet
- Zhan Shu, China Construction Bank Fintech
- Wei Rao, China Railways
- Xin Zhong, China Unicom
- Kei Kusunoki, NTT Communications
- Lawrence Lai, Futurewei (Chair)
- Shane Wang, Intel (Vice-Chair)
- Thomas Kozlowski, Linbit (Europe)
- Brian Hellman, Linbit (N. America)
- Trevor Phillipe, MayaData (N. America)
- Brad King, Scality (N. America, Europe)
- Masahiro Itoh, Individual (Japan)
- Shinya Hamano, Fujitsu (Japan)
- Shimada Ichiro, Sony (Japan)
- Yusuke Sato, Yahoo! JAPAN (Japan)
- Pierre Zhang, China Unicom (China)
- Chenjing, Huawei (China)
- Jiaming Pan, eHualu (China)
- Xionlai, China Construction Bank Fintech (China)
- Zengzan Liu, Scutech (China)
- Sai Nath, Wipro (India)
- Pradipta, IBM (India)
- Uma Mukkara, MayaData (India)
- Vivek, Microsoft (India)
- Rupal Shirpurkar, Click2Cloud (India)
- Ashit Kumar, Huawei (India)
SODA currently hosts 3 main projects
- Open Data Framework – unified data and storage management framework with standardized API
- YIG – Incubated China Unicom YIG massively scalable object storage that is being used in production storing >5PB of data
- DAOS – Incubated Intel DAOS distributed asynchronous object storage for high-performance storage with persistent memory
- SODA Member Projects
- LINSTOR – by LINBIT, exploring incubation
- ZENKO – by Scality, exploring incubation
- OPENEBS – CNCF project by MayaData, exploring integration
Open Data framework
- block, file, object storage with API standardization
- heterogeneous storage provisioning and monitoring
- hybrid/multicloud to AWS, Google, Azure, Huawei, IBM, Alibaba clouds
- support K8S, OpenStack, Vmware
- Prometheus & Kafka integration
- Performance visualization with Grafana
- Performance anomaly detection
- CSI plug & play
YIG is a massively scalable object storage project by China Unicom donated to SODA Foundation. YIG is deployed in production at China Unicom with about 3-4PB of data
YIG ties together multiple Ceph clusters at its backend to form a massive storage resource pool
Storage can be expanded easily by adding new Ceph clusters without performance degradation due to Ceph rebalancing and other operations
DAOS stands for Distributed Asynchronous Object Storage, a project by Intel that was recently incubated into SODA.
DAOS is a software-defined scale-out object store that provides high bandwidth, low latency, and high I/O operations per second (IOPS) storage containers to HPC applications. It enables next-generation data-centric workflows that combine simulation, data analytics and AI.
Open Design, Open Development
SODA is an end-user driven foundation. End users drive roadmap requirements, provide use cases, test and provide feedback, and guide opportunities for data and storage technologies.
The SODA End User Advisory Committee meets regularly and provides guidance to the Board and TOC. The organizations represented in the EUAC manages some of the biggest data in the world.
- End users drive roadmap requirements, test & adopt, provide feedback and validation
- Community developers build SODA projects and explore cross-project integration
- Vendors build interoperability solutions around SODA projects
- Industry organizations collaboration for standardization, certification, co-marketing and events
- Academia partnerships for labs, internships and research
SODA Foundation community has been growing even through the lockdowns in 2020. Regional communities in Japan, China, and India are well established with many active participants, while communities in America’s and Europe continue to grow.
Our social channels includes Twitter, YouTube, Slack, WeChat, and WhatsApp.
SODA Foundation held its first SODACON, participated in major open source conferences worldwide, and held regular webinars.
- SODACON 2020
- SNIA Storage Developer Conference
- Open Source Summit North America
- Open Source Summit Europe
- Open Source Summit China
- Open Source India
- K8S Forum, Bengaluru & Delhi
- OpenStack+SODA+Ceph Day, China
SODACON – the data and storage conference
- 60+ speakers, 30+ sessions, 400+ global attendees
- Organizations represented:Accenture, China Construction Bank Fintech, China Mobile, China Unicom, Cloudera, Fujitsu, Huawei, Intel, Linbit, Mayadata, Microsoft, NetEase, OPPO, Redhat, Reliance, Seagate, Scality, Sony, Toyota, Walmart Labs, Wipro, Yahoo! JAPAN, SNIA, CNCF, IEEE, CESI,CCICI, JDSF
LOOKING TOWARDS 2021
Jan 1, 2021
- Focus on cloud native; enable analytics, AI/ML and edge
- Incubate and integrate data & storage projects
- Regions – make India, China, Japan more active, grow US and Europe
- Grow end user community and add more data software + cloud vendors
- Build out SODA landscape
- Partner with ecosystem organizations and projects
- The foundation for open source data and storage
- Helping end users with their data and storage challenges
- Boost end user adoption with proof-of-concept testing
- Create SODA reference solutions with for analytics, AI/ML and edge
- Integrate YIG and DAOS with Open Data Framework
- Accept quality data and storage projects to the Incubator
- Drive data and storage management standards
- Build virtual lab for development & tests
- Cloud Native Storage
- Support all CSI storage drivers
- Heterogeneous Storage Management
- Monitoring, Anomaly Detection, Analytics
- Geo Data Store (File/Object)
- Global Metadata
- Search, Analytics
- Spans across edge, data center, cloud
- Leverage existing projects where possible
- Data Lifecycle/Tiering
- Data Protection
The Bootcamp program includes training courses on SODA data and storage projects to help individuals acquire the skills to develop and operate SODA projects.
The Internship program provides paid opportunities for new developers to join and learn from SODA mentors by working on projects.
The Incubator provides services to incubated data and storage projects to help them develop, grow and be adopted by end users. YIG and DAOS are the existing projects in the incubator.
The Ambassador program provides financial support for influencers to educate and evangelize SODA projects and technology.
The Bounty program rewards developers for SODA project features development, design, tests, bug fixes, and documentation.
- SODACON CHINA @LF China Jun/Jul
- SODACON INDIA @ OSI TBD
- SODACON AMERICA @OSS Vancouver 8/3-8/6
- SODACON EUROPE @OSS Dublin 9/28-10/1
- SODACON JAPAN @LF Tokyo Dec
- LF Member Summit, Virtual TBD
- OSS N. America, Vancouver 8/3–8/6
- OSS Europe, Dublin 9/29–10/2
- K8SDay, London TBD
- KubeCon N. America, L.A. 10/12-10/15
- SNIA SDC, Santa Clara TBD
- Open Infrastructure Summit TBD
- 1 per quarter – US, Japan, China, India